Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trying to be Minnesotan

Last weekend some friends were in town for various reasons and we just needed to capitalize on the serendipity that so many great people were in one city! We were able to coordinate having everyone over for brunch on Sunday. I'd already made my favorite Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes for some of them, so I had to come up with something new. Breakfast food is one of my favorite types of food to make, so I was excited find another favorite dish.

When I realized that "mostly Minnesotans" would be occupying the table (minus a native Philly girl and myself) I thought it would be fitting to make some sort of casserole-y dish. What makes more sense than an egg bake? (Egg bake makes me sound like an old lady - I prefer egg dish or quiche). So, I started researching egg dishes on Epicurious and this Baked Egg Custard with Gruyere and Chives recipe caught my eye! It seemed easy, involved few ingredients, and little prep so that I'd be able to hang out with our guests rather than be in the kitchen forever.

Of course, I couldn't just serve an egg dish. As I mentioned, I love breakfast, so I had a few other items on the table. Breakfast is not complete without bacon, so we had that with grilled breakfast sausage (another personal favorite from my childhood), and a mixed fruit bowl that included strawberries, blueberries, peaches and bananas. We topped it off with lots of coffee and mimosas.

The spread:


The friends:


The egg dish:


Close up:


My plate:


Good food, great friends, and wonderful conversation. Love you guys!

No comments: